Thursday, October 7, 2010

TV and its Impact

As a child, I clearly remember what my favorite television shows were throughout the years. When I was younger, I recall watching harmless shows like Barney, Mr.Rogers, and shows that depicted the idea of friendship and that “caring is sharing”. As I grew older, I started watching shows with more of a “personality” and when I say personality, I mean they made more of an impact and were more influential on my life. Once I started watching these shows with “personality” I began to be more conscious of how I looked, dressed and acted around other people based on how the characters in the show looked, dressed and acted. Although this behavior of conforming to what children witness throughout their everyday life, is normal, it does however make a significant impact on the way they perceive themselves as well as the people and the world around them.  The way that television shows and movies are able to somewhat overpower a child’s views and opinions is evident in today’s society. For the last two birthdays that my five year old nephew has had, the theme and gifts that he got were based off the popular movies, Transformers and Star Wars. I find it interesting how a child that young can want absolutely everything in his life to revolve around these two movies, and nothing else. 
Looking back on my childhood, I cannot say that if I didn’t watch any form of television, I would have turned out to be a smarter, more independent and a more successful human being. TV, in my eyes can have both a positive and negative impact on a child’s life. It is the responsibility of the parent to insure that the television their children are watching will benefit rather than hinder their development through life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment